Thursday, April 18, 2013

My Review of Nikon 28mm f/1.8G AF-S Nikkor Lens - Nikon U.S.A. Warranty


Reasonably Sharp, Build Quality Suspect

By Preston from St. Louis, MO on 4/18/2013

 

3out of 5

Pros: Close Focus, Good contrast, Sharp, Light weight

Cons: Poor build quality, Slow auto focus

Best Uses: Video, Landscape/Scenery, Architecture, Indoors/Low Light

Describe Yourself: Pro Photographer

Was this a gift?: No

I returned four samples to Amazon before getting one from Adorama that I did not consider defective. Common issues I found are a gritty feel to the manual focus, pronounced chromatic aberration and poor sharpness. All the defective models a strange, tarnished orange look to the gold Nikon lettering on the lens, so maybe all came from a bad production run.
So one star off for poor construction that feels much cheaper than either the 85mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8 and led to evident quality control problems. Another star off because it costs $200 more than it should, given the quality. Rather than being excited by my new lens, I feel like I'm settling for an inferior product.
I'd recommend this lens with some reservations. Be sure to test it thoroughly.

(legalese)

No comments: